Sunday, August 9, 2015

Pets Can Increase Your Health

       As I sit typing this article with a purring cat on my lap and two snoring pugs on my feet, I understand how pets can increase your health.  Pets have been found to decrease depression and lower your blood pressure.  Cats and dogs are supposed to reduce stress in owners and decrease the effects of cortisol and norepinephrine.  Taking your dog on a walk provides additional exercise and playing with your pets elevates levels of serotonin and dopamine, giving the feeling of pleasure.
     A growing number of research studies have found that children who grow up with furry friends have less risk of allergies or asthma.  Years ago pediatricians encouraged parents to rid their house of animals and not expose their child to pets if they were found to have allergies.  Exposure to animals with fur is now found to help children have fewer allergies.   Plus, another benefit to children growing up with a pet, allows the child to have the responsibility to care for an animal.  Both my children started with feeding the dogs and cats around the age of 4 years.  As they grew older, their responsibilities for their pets increased to walking the dogs, changing the litter box, and giving the dreaded baths.
    

      Next time you are cleaning up after your cat’s hairball or your dog’s “oops, I forgot that my bathroom was outside”, remember all the health benefits your pet can give you!



Reference


Davis, J. (2004, January 1). 5 Ways Pets Can Improve Your Health. Retrieved July 27, 2015, from     WebMD.com: http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/features/health-benefits-     of-pets

 Written By:  Angela Ask MPS



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a great time reading around your post as I read it extensively. Excellent writing! I am looking forward to hearing more from you.

health and physical education

Kaplan Center for Health and Wellness said...

Khel Sahitya Kendra,
Thank you so much for the compliment! I will post another blog article this evening.
Angela Ask MPS

Post a Comment

About Me

Kaplan Center for Health and Wellness
View my complete profile

Followers