Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hooping Anyone??



Perhaps you've heard.  Hula hooping is back!  And more exciting than ever before.  Last January I was lucky enough to be on the Colorado River with a Hooper for 25 days, and boy did she have some tricks up her sleeve!  Since then, however, I haven't had quite the time or exposure to explore this fun activity.  Well, last weekend that changed! 

One of the great parts of teaching at a yoga studio is that you get to join in all the fun workshops!  We were lucky enough to host a very talented hooper from the August, GA area.  She taught us basics, tricks, and then we even got to make our own hula hoops!  I'm not ashamed to admit I came home with 4 (for the kids of course!).  I've been addicted (to my kids delight) ever since. 

Not only is hula hooping fun, but it has health benefits as well!  According to hooping.org (2011) hula hooping helps burn fat, tones the body, increases your fitness level, improves your mood and coordination, and increases the flexibility of your spine.  I can vouch for the fact that my core muscles are feeling a little sore these days!

For me, my favorite part of hooping has been spending time outside with the kids being active.  The repetitive movement is almost a moving meditation and it has really helped clear my mind and reduce anxiety when I need it most.  Check out the above video of last weekend's guest teacher, Christina Berkshire,  to see what it's all about!

Happy Hooping!

Kristin Henningsen M.S., C.H., R.Y.T. and hooper extraordinaire


1 comments:

Dianna said...

Thanks for the great walk down memory lane! I had forgotten about the hula hoop. When I was a kid I became an avid hooper and went from being "chubby" (oh I dislike that word) to a thinner healther person. I suppose that would have been my first attempts to improve heath status (at age 9) even though I just thought it was fun!

Post a Comment

About Me

Kaplan Center for Health and Wellness
View my complete profile

Followers