Saturday, January 2, 2016

Top 5 New Year's Resolutions

By Jeanette Andrade, PhD, RDN/LDN



I do not typically make a resolution for the New Year. I am not sure why, but it likely has to do with the reason I do not stick with that resolution. For example, one year my resolution was to wake up earlier. So I set my alarm an hour earlier and the next morning when it went off, I hit the snooze and slept until I normally get up. I attempted to wake up early the next day since I did so well the first and the same thing happened. I decided waking up early was not in my cards. In any case, when writing this post, I decided to see what others indicate as their resolutions for 2016. Here are the top 5:

1. Enjoy life to the fullest
2. Live a healthier lifestyle
3. Lose weight
4. Spend more time with family and friends
5. Save more, spend less (Kirkham, 2015)

I must point out GoBankingRates administered this survey to 5000 Americans in which the responses above were their only choices and they had to check which one(s) was the most important to them. Now I am a scientist and conduct research studies, so I understand the rationale for reducing the number of choices people have to improve statistics and prevent variability. However, these choices could mean something different to everyone. For instance, “enjoy life to the fullest”. Sure who doesn’t want to do this? I would mark this and make it a point to travel the globe. Someone else may interpret this to volunteering and helping out more in their community. Regardless of which one(s) you would potentially mark above, I wish you a wonderful New Year!

Kirkham, E. (2015). “Enjoying life to the fullest” is 2016’s top resolution. Time: Everyday Money. Retrieved from http://time.com/money/4163867/top-new-years-resolution-2016/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Loading...

About Me

Kaplan Center for Health and Wellness
View my complete profile

Followers