Monday, January 4, 2016

A sadness has crept over me...

By Jeanette Andrade, PhD, RDN/LDN



The holidays are over, which in and of itself is a bummer. More importantly, though, my kids have started back at school. I am not saying that I do not want my kids to go to school as I know the importance, but it is sad to go back into a routine. I loved the holiday break as my kids did not have to wake up at a particular time nor were we on a time crunch to get to an after-school event or to a lesson for one of their activities. At first I thought I was the only one who did not mind my kids being home from school, until I spoke with my sister. She shared the same thoughts as I did about being relieved her kids were out of school for a couple of weeks. Sure I hardly got any work done and had to separate them a few times for fighting with each other, but other than that, it was nice to say to them, “hey let’s go ice skating for a couple of hours so you can get some activity in you.” It was also a good stress-reliever for me as well. 

On the positive side, this is a good thing for me to go back into a routine as now that the kids are back in school, I can focus on my work and all the other items I need to get done. Yet, there still is a tinge of sadness. Sure, there are plenty of natural remedies to dissipate these blues such as eating omega 3 fatty acids, 

eating foods that contain the awesome amino acid tryptophan (you know the one that causes you to sleep after eating that good Turkey meal), 

 
getting plenty of vitamin D, 
and eating more fruits and veggies (Hokemeyer, 2015). 
But, I already consume most of these foods or take a multivitamin, so the best thing for me to do is get used to this routine and think there is only 4 more months until summer break, so that’s something to look forward to…

Hokemeyer, P. (2015). 4 foods you should eat to stave off seasonal depression. New York Post. Retrieved on January 4, 2016 from http://nypost.com/2015/02/11/four-foods-you-should-eat-to-stave-off-seasonal-depression/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have read that taking vitamins is a waste of money since most of the nutrients do not get absorbed well. However, my doctor says I should be taking vitamins.

kids piano classes said...

such a astonishing blog. thanks for sharing with us.

Post a Comment

Search

Loading...

About Me

Kaplan Center for Health and Wellness
View my complete profile

Followers